Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Halloween Already?

It's still a couple months away, but I've already got Halloween on my mind.  Being the penny pincher that I am, I want to have plenty of time to manage the procurement of costumes that will make my kiddos happy.  This week I asked them what they wanted to dress up as for Halloween.  Belle wants to be a fairy.  AGAIN.  Third time, I think.  But she wants purple this time.  I had a lucky find on craigslist.org once and was able to snatch up a couple boxes of fine fabric scraps.  I have some stretchy fuzzy purple stuff that will do just the job.  The scraps aren't very big, so I have to be creative.  I've already started putting it together, and I am feeling the sweetness of success.  I don't have a pattern for exactly what I need to make it work, so I am altering another pattern (quite a bit).  These sort of things usually result in a lot of error, but I am excited that it is actually working out quickly this time.

The last few years I have been lucky enough to score some hand-me-downs and yard sale bargains for Sweetheart, but he didn't get any say in the matter.  We had to bribe him just to keep the costumes on.  Now that he is four, he is ready to choose.  He wants to be a brown dog.  It has to have a hood, though.  Where did he get that idea?  My mom told me that they have been going gaga over "Critter Capes" or something when they've watched Qubo at her house.  Good ol' merchandising getting my kids riled up over something they want to buy.  This is a pretty specific desire.  I hope he is not disappointed with what I can sew if it doesn't compare to what he has built up in his imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment