Saturday, August 20, 2011

Berry Picking

Berries are ripe for picking.  While enjoying the harvest, I've had time to ponder about life.  I've often complained to myself that I had to pay consequences for other people's actions.  Not fair!  But while picking blackberries at a friend's house yesterday, that I also can often receive blessings that come only from other people's actions.  That's not fair, either, but I sure like it.  I guess that can even things out.

Other lessons I learned while picking berries: 
This is the first year I've had raspberries.  When they first started ripening, I went out every day to pluck the red ones.  When Sabbath day rolled around, I worried that I wasn't able to pick the berries that were ripe.  I didn't go out there, nonetheless, and on Monday, I discovered that there were red berries that had turned an even deeper color and almost purple.  These berries were even sweeter than the ones I had picked before.  Now I know to wait longer for them to ripen.  Blessings come when we keep the commandments.

Raspberries grow on canes that came up the year previously.  Berries don't form on new growth.  Also I've put in a lot of work keeping things watered and weeded for months now, and finally things are starting to come to fruition.  From these I have learned about patience.  I relate it to some personal struggles that have taken more than one season to resolve.

Sometimes you have to stand out in the hot sun, reach far, and get some prickles in your fingers in order to get the sweetest berries.  Getting the most out of life takes work and sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment