Friday, March 30, 2012

Twilight: A Book Review

When my aunt suggested I read Twilight by Stephanie Meyer, I checked the book out from the library. After reading the back cover to see what it was about, I sent it back to the library without reading it. Really? A teenage girl falling in love with a vampire? I don't have time for this. Some time later, I kept hearing about Twilight. Rave reviews were everywhere. My friend showed me the first movie at her house. I thought a couple hours invested in a silly story was better than how long it would take to read the book. I enjoyed it well enough, though I wasn't crazy about it like some people. She said the book was much better than the movie, as they usually are. This friend is what is now called a "Twi-hard" (like diehard for Twilight). She named her firstborn daughter Bella after the character in the book. I have a few other Twihard friends who wear the t-shirts and buy the dolls. One is nicknamed Renesmee after a character from the fourth book. They convinced me to read. I also am friends with a Twi-hater, who is ready to stage a book burning. I figure that this cultural phenomenon was worthy of my review.

Here is my opinion.

Twilight is intoxicating. The writing is emotional. I found myself still thinking about the story when I wasn't reading. I had trouble putting the book down to do my chores and to go to sleep at night. I couldn't wait for the next books to come in at the library, so I actually bought them. I was drawn in by the story, as I was able to feel the emotions of the characters as I read. That's one of my favorite things about a book--when I can feel what it is like to be in it. I didn't care for the second book so much, as Bella is mostly miserable through the whole thing. So was I. Book three picked up and was exciting again. Book four, well that one was just bizarre. Don't let your tweens read it. It's a little risqué.

I think the reason the books have affected so many people so strongly is because of the nature of Edward and Bella's relationship. He is deeply romantic, the epitome of a gentleman, and fiercely protective. He has in inordinate amount of self-control. His love for Bella is so strong, that he is willing to sacrifice his own happiness for her sake. Real women will never find a man to love them like this since he can only do it with supernatural powers and decades of experience. But to read the book is to live it vicariously. It's a thrilling experience. Hopefully women will not rate their husbands against Edward, since he is a fictional character, and the poor guys will undoubtedly fail.

I give Twilight five stars, New Moon two stars, Eclipse four stars, and Breaking Dawn one star.

No comments:

Post a Comment