Monday, January 9, 2012

Use a Humidifier

Utah is technically a desert.  That means it is dry, of course.  With the winter weather, our house has been really dry lately.  My children's hair stands up straight like they are touching a Van de Graaf generator after they put on a shirt.  In a dark bathroom, we can get an electric lights show when changing out of polar fleece sleeper jammies.  A couple weeks ago, I dropped our kitchen timer and broke it because I received a shock when turning on the light switch.  Time to run the humidifier.  We have a cold mist humidifier that I run in the night time.  It helps tremendously to reduce the trouble we've been having with dry air.  It helps with dry, itchy skin, bloody noses and bloodshot eyes, chapped lips, and even helps me get to sleep better since it isn't so hard to breathe.

Our pediatricians have always recommended running a humidifier as soon as the kids get sick.  It helps more than any medicine, I think.  My mom has a steam humidifier.  It works, too, but a little too well!  If she runs it all night, she wakes up in a tropical rain forest, with water dripping down the walls and a bad smell from the wooden furniture.  It is better to run hers a couple hours before bed, and then turn it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment